{Teacher Week 2015} Favorite Subject

Happy Friday Y'all!! It's the last day of Blog Hoppin's Teacher Week 2015. Today's topic is Favorite Subject!

I would have to say my favorite subject to teach is READING!! I love to read so I love to share my LOVE of reading with my kiddos. Since I work in a school that isn't required to follow a specific curriculum, I'm free to design my own reading program. We use Journeys as a supplement though and follow the spelling and high frequency words in the curriculum. Why? To be honest, it's just easier! It's already there, each week, ready for us. Another Sanity Saver!!

I usually begin each reading mini lesson with a read aloud of a book that showcases our skills for the week. For example, when teaching story structure I may read a fairy tale. I use voices and I'm really animated when I read! Anything to get the students interested in the book. I'm always modeling what good readers should do, so I will stop and talk about what we've read so far. After reading we may create an anchor chart or complete an activity or do partner talk or use {questioning cards}. There's always something to reinforce the skill taught.

I created interactive notebooks last year to help excite my ELA block.
The kids LOVE to create their interactive notebook activities. It's a great way to practice and review the skills and words we are teaching. 



They are so fun! Well that's it for my #TeacherWeek15!! Thanks for joining me! 

No comments

Post a Comment